Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Scotty's Coast Connection Band ...


We regularly play Monday afternoons at the Old Fish House and Restaurant in Matlacha, Florida, and the bottom of Charlotte Harbor.  Matlacha is a historic fishing village that dates back to the nineteenth century, and is on the east side of Pine Island, connected to the mainland by a drawbridge.

The Coast Connection Band was formed by Scotty, who I first met three years ago when I sat in with my friend Joe Higgins at Scotty's restaurant at Bokelia on the north end of Pine Island.  Now that I'm here permanently, I joined up with the band: Don on lead guitar, Al on rhythm guitar, Joe on guitar (all do vocals), Doug on bass, Dack on drums and Scotty on the washboard and bottles.  Of course, I'm on the keyboards.  It is great fun, and since it's blues, country, bluegrass and rock, it's a long way from my normal jazz piano ... but I'm learning the genres.

Here we are playing a private party at Pioneer Village in North Fort Myers ... thanks to Doug for the video...



And, a short iPhone video from the Old Fish House ...